||Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)
Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)
VoIP is technology that allows customers to make phone calls using a broadband Internet connection instead of a traditional landline telephone. This is a great new technology, but the following issues will impact your customers' electronic security/life safety systems. They need to be aware of them before signing up for VoIP:
- You, their security provider, and their central station must be notified immediately of any phone number changes so the correct number is called in the event of an alarm activation
- There could be issues when using 911; it may be difficult for customers to connect with their local dispatch center or for the dispatch to identify the location of the call
- VoIP may need additional battery backup in addition to alarm system backup equipment in the event of a power outage
- Customers could incur additional costs for modifications to their alarm system to communicate through VoIP
- Encourage your customers to inform you before they make any changes to their existing telephone service. With proper communication, Michigan Monitoring Service will be able to provide them with seamless monitoring services.